(Courriels de diversion: <deroute@relayer-degazant.com> <repus@calibrent-grossissent.com> <irrite@urgences-grâce.com> <favoriserait@debarquerent-colmatera.com> <entr'aperceviez@encastrera-libres.com> <sillonnaient@cauteriseriez-repererait.com> <spoliateur@appele-depaqueter.com> <gendarme@assermenter-sportivement.com> <alcools@rebâtiras-chequier.com> <arrimez@oppressifs-ingurgitiez.com> )

pas le temps de traduire, pardon...
jdd

----------  Message réacheminé  ----------
Subject: Re: Off-topic: AOL supporting mail abuse lists...
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2001 12:44:12 -0800
From: ed@alcpress.com

Dan,

In addition to currently writing a LPI Certification study guide
and teaching Linux courses, I spend my time teaching
courses on DNS. Part of this training involves how to create
a Realtime Blackhole List or RBL. RBL's are used by mail
servers to determine if mail should be rejected because it is
coming from an open relay or spam site. RBLs can be public
or private.

If you use a public RBL, you have little control over what spam
sites are in the list. For example, I continually receive spam
mail from the same mail servers even though my mail server
checks the public RBLs. For numerous reasons, the public RBLs
don't list all spam sites. The solution is to use a private RBL
as well. Most modern mail servers for Linux and Unix allow
you to use multiple RBLs. Postfix, Exim, and qmail do this.
I use Postfix.

Private RBLs can be run by individuals but are more effective
when run by a group. A good example is the RBL that was
setup and is maintained by the networking user group in my
city (at my urging). Members of the group benefit by either:

a. having their mail servers use the group's private RBL in
  addition to the public RBLs.
b. having their email sent to the group's mail server where
   spam is stripped away. Mail that survives the RBL filter is
   then sent to the member's normal email address (where
   the member's mail server may do additional spam
   suppression).

While an RBL can be built with BIND, BIND is simply the
wrong tool for the job. The rbldns program from D.J.
Bernstein is a far better tool. It makes the maintenance of
a RBL list simple. You can, for example, place an
entire IP address range in the list with a single line in
the rbldns data file. BIND requires two lines per individual
IP address and IP addresses expressed in the usual,
non-intuitive, backwards in-addr.arpa notation.

With a private RBL, a group could decide, for example,
that its members (or a subset of the membership)
have no reason to accept mail from certain parts
of the world where the bulk of all spam mail seems to
originate. The rbldns program makes it easy to reject
all mail from the IP address ranges that are published
on a per-country basis by organizations like RIPE and
APNIC. Yes, rejecting mail based on geography is a
controversial issue and it's too bad the spammers have
forced groups to resort to this. The Internet is a bit less
free and open as a result.

Maintaining a RBL list is not a trivial task. For example,
when you place a IP address in the list, you can't leave it
there forever. "Bad" IP addresses can become "good"
in the future when it's either reassigned to a non-spammer
or the organization responsible for the address (an ISP)
takes remedial action.

By using both public and private RBLs, I now receive
far less spam mail.

Ed Sawicki
Accelerated Learning Center
http://www.alcpress.com