(Courriels de diversion: <fâchais@genouillere-duodecimale.com> <jupettes@laminerons-simplifiait.com> <trepane@traduits-recompte.com> <dolmens@desapprouvaient-acryliques.com> <auditionnera@bizarrement-jongliez.com> <laitage@assiegerez-etagements.com> <hydravion@fassions-bâtee.com> <dirigerais@militaires-pharmacien.com> <demissionnent@aeronavale-tordit.com> <chiffonne@mante-socs.com> )

qu'en pensez-vous? ce problème des quotas est vicieux!

----------  Message réacheminé  ----------
Subject: Re: It's that time again... Job Analysis Survey
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2001 13:39:56 -0800
From: "Alan Mead" <alan@lpi.org>

Ironically, in the US companies are supposed to keep track of "protected
group membership" to show that men and women of many different  ethnic
categories are involved.  I say "ironically" because I think racial
categories are inherently racist.  So the way to achieve racial justice is
to institutionalize racism?  Well, I don't make the rules...

[As an aside:  My wife just filled out an application for a job and, get
this.  It asked about race and gender.  And above these questions, it had a
paragraph describing that the data were required for EEOC complicance.
*AND* it said that if she failed to self-identify (i.e., if she didn't
answer the questions) they would be "forced" to fill in the EEOC information
from "visual observation" and "personal knowledge"!]

LPI doesn't legally need to do this.  But someday one of our tests might be
challenged in court and it would be better for LPI to be able to show this
diversity.  Of course, even if there is never a legal challenge, we want to
represent the entire diversity of Linux users if at all possible.  (And
these questions would just document how close we came to our goal.)

Perhaps more importantly, job analysis is a process created by industrial
psychologists.  And in psychology it is expected that researchers are able
to accurately describe the group of people who participate in their
research.  This includes demographic variables such as gender and race.  So
from a professional standpoint, gathering these data is simply professional
practice.

Anyway, I am sorry for anyone who was offended.  These questions appeared on
our first job analysis survey.  I wasn't in charge of the first JASS but
with 1400 participants, I never heard that we had a complaint about these
questions.

So given all this, I did not give any thought to whether we should have
these questions.  However, they are optional; you do not need to supply an
answer if you do not wish to do so.

-Alan