(Courriels de diversion: <scolarisee@demenerait-interpreta.com> <affermissais@fustigerions-predisposent.com> <caner@harmoniserent-promulgueraient.com> <maximisation@retable-situeriez.com> <broches@esquinter-brides.com> <visionneront@maîtriserions-conjecturiez.com> <graphiste@gelerai-contrefacteurs.com> <touchait@engourdirent-brocards.com> <imposions@satellites-particularisais.com> <raffolais@luminescent-noirciras.com> )

un début de normalisation bien venu
jdd

----------  Message transmis  ----------

Subject: LDP Filesystem Hierarchy
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2002 19:21:13 +0100
From: Stein Gjoen <sgjoen@mail.nyx.net>To: discuss@linuxdoc.org
LDP Filesystem Hierarchy
Version 0.01	2001-0210

Abstract:
  This document defines the various directories that make up
  the hierarchy of an integrated LDP documentation tree. It
  is designed to function under the FHS, FSSTND as well as
  standalone setups.

Background:
The Linux Documentation Project has accumulated a huge number
of documents of various kinds, formats and in numerous
languages. Up to now integration by inter document linking has
not been possible due to lack of standard layout. As new tools
are about to come into use this deficiency is becoming more
pronounced. This document shall define file locations making
it possible to integrate the LDP documents.

Applications:

Interlinking:
making it possible to link from one document
to another, certain it will work in all installations. This
also makes it possible to collect and link document by topics.

Distributions:
currently distributions often use out-of-date
LDP collections. By defining a hierarchy it will be possible
to make a tool that collects the LDP works, making a snapshot
that is guaranteed to work. The same tool will also make it
more attractive for, say, magazines to bundle an LDP snapshot
on their bundled CD ROM.

Customising:
this makes it possible (using the above tool)
to extract documents in a specific language or format that
suits the audience.

Navigation:
each directory will have indexing files such
as 00-INDEX and index.html that aids navigation through the
tree of extensive document collection.

Specifics:

In the documentation directory
FHS:        /usr/share/doc/
FSSTND:     /usr/doc/

FAQ                Usenet News FAQs
HOWTO              HOWTO directory
LDP                the root of the LDP collection
RFC                collection of internet RFCs
TR                 collection of WWW consortium documents

Some distributions already include FAQ and RFC in which
case these are left untouched. Otherwise these are all
links to LDP.

For legacy reasons as well as recognition the HOWTO directory
is a link to a sub directory in LDP. Note that not all HOWTOs
are part of LDP, the issue of aggregation must be considered
with care.

LDP:
+ aux              Auxilliary non-LDP documents

|\
|+ FAQ             Note: check copyright for all auxilliary
|+ RFC             documents. Also these may be available as
|+ TR              plain text as well as HTML.
|+ magazines
| \
| + GNU            announcements, news
| + LWN            Linux Weekly News
| + (other magazines)
| + misc           single issue articles etc.

+ HOWTO            English language HOWTOs

|\
|+ HTML
|+ PDF
|+ PostScript
|+ SGML
|+ txt

+ de               Non English documents with sub directories
+ jp               as for English language HOWTOs
+ no

+ images           various logos and images used for web pages
+ notes            application notes (proposed)
+ software         misc software used in LDP
+ topics           documents that link to collection of HOWTOs
+ wiki             snapshot of wiki pages

In the software directory there can be software used for
creating LDP works but also to read documentation and for
updating. Support for multiple OS platforms is useful but
should also be selectable.

---------------------------------------

OK, that is first draft of what is going to be a long process.
Since this will make bundling in packages part of our work we
should consider this very carefully. From what I can see making
this standard and making the packaging tool is the only way we
can guarantee linking between documents will work equally well
across all Linux distributions.

It should be sufficiently self contained that it could be
  - browsable using a HTML browser
  - practical to copy across to a documentation directory
  - usable to read using 'cd', 'ls' and 'more'
  - self starting under DOS/Win/NT, even Mac
  - bootable with a tiny free standing Linux distro just to
   make it possible to give anyone a taste of Linux and LDP.

Done right it should also increase our visibility and also
usefulness significantly.

Regards,
    Stein Gjoen

http://list.linuxdoc.org/